Geometry - (9 cfu)
|Prof. Lucia Alessandrini||Tel. 0521 032334 - Fax. 0521 032350|
| ||E-mail. firstname.lastname@example.org|
| ||Home page. http://www2.unipr.it/~aleluc12/|
Supply the student with tools for:
a) solve systems of linear equations;
b) diagonalize (symmetric) matrices;
c) solve easy problems of analytic geometry;
d) Operations on vectors and matrices.
1. Real and complex vector spaces. Linear subspaces: sum and intersection. Linear combinations of vectors: linear dipendence/indipendence. Generators, bases and dimension of a vector spaces. Grassmann formula for subspaces.
2. Determinants: Laplace expansion and basic properties. Binet theorem. Row and column elementary operations on matrices. Computation of the inverse matrix. Rank of a matrix.
3. Linear systems: Gauss-Jordan method and Rouché Capelli theorem.
4. Linear maps. Definition of kernel and image; fundamental theorem on linear maps. Matrix representation of a linear map and change of bases. Isomorphisms and inverse matrix.
5. Endomorphisms of a vector space: eigenvalues, eigenvector and eigenspaces. Characteristic polynomial. Algebraic and geometric multiplicity. Diagonalizable endomorphisms.
6. Scalar products. Orthogonal complement of a linear subspace. Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process. Representation of isometries by orthogonal matrices. The orthogonal group. Diagonalization of symmetric matrices: spectral theorem. Positivity criterion for scalar product. A brief discussion on the complex case..
7. Three dimensional analytic geometry. Parametric and Cartesian equations of a line. Mutual position between two lines in the space; skew lines. Equation of a plane. Canonical scalar product and distance. Vector product and its fundamental properties. Distance of a point from a line and from a plane.
8. Topics in algebra and/or geometry.
Usually the evaluation consists of a written exam.
F. Capocasa, C.Medori: " Algebra Lineare e Geometria Analitica ",
A. Alessandrini, L. Nicolodi ''Geometria A''
A. Alessandrini ''Geometria B''
A. Abate, C. De Fabritiis ''Geometria analitica con elementi di algebra lineare''
Ultimo aggiornamento: 05-10-2009