Geometria - (5 cfu)
|Prof. Costantino Medori||Tel. 0521.906900 - Fax. 0521.906950|
| ||E-mail. email@example.com|
| ||Home page. http://www.math.unipr.it/~medori/|
Supply the student with tools for:
a) solve systems of linear equations;
b) diagonalize (symmetric) matrices;
c) solve easy problems of analytic geometry;
d) recognize the type of a conic and write its canonical form.
1. Real and complex vector spaces. Linear subspaces: sum and intersection. Linear combinations of vectors: linear dipendence/indipendence. Generators, bases and dimension of a vector spaces. Grassmann formula for subspaces.
2. Determinants: Laplace expansion and basic properties. Binet theorem. Row and column elementary operations on matrices. Computation of the inverse matrix. Rank of a matrix.
3. Linear systems: Gauss-Jordan method and Rouché Capelli theorem.
4. Linear maps. Definition of kernel and image; fundamental theorem on linear maps. Matrix representation of a linear map and change of bases. Isomorphisms and inverse matrix.
5. Endomorphisms of a vector space: eigenvalues, eigenvector and eigenspaces. Characteristic polynomial. Algebraic and geometric multiplicity. Diagonalizable endomorphisms.
6. Scalar products. Orthogonal complement of a linear subspace. Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process. Representation of isometries by orthogonal matrices. The orthogonal group. Diagonalization of symmetric matrices: spectral theorem. Positivity criterion for scalar product: Hurewicz theorem.
7. Two and three dimensional analytic geometry. Parametric and Cartesian equations of a line. Mutual position between two lines in the space; skew lines. Equation of a plane. Canonical scalar product and distance. Vector product and its fundamental properties. Distance of a point from a line and from a plane.
8. Conics: elementary properties. Affine and Euclidean classifications. Affine invariants and canonical form of a conic. Center of symmetry and axes.
Discussion and solution of problem. Exercises will be regurarly assigned during the semester.
Usually the evaluation consists of a written exam.
F. Capocasa, C.Medori: " Algebra Lineare e Geometria Analitica ", Mattioli
A. Nannicini: " Esercizi svolti di algebra lineare, vol.1 ", Pitagora
Examination texts are available at the photocopy-office.
Ultimo aggiornamento: 08-02-2006